Skip to the main content

The Biography of Sidney Culverwell Oland (veteran)

Category: 
Culture : 
Country of Origin: 
Language: 
English
Creative Commons: 
CC BY-NC-ND 4.0
Accession Number: 
S2012.930.1

Story Text: 

Born:17 June 1885 in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Father:George W.C. Oland of Grayshot, Surrey, England
Mother:Ella Y (Bauld) Oland

Educated:LaSalle Academy, St. Francis Xavier College and the US
Brewers Academy, New York

Family:
John James Dunn Oland (Sidney's grandfather) and family, including his son, George, came to Canada in 1864 and built a brewery under the name of S. Oland Sons and Company at Turtle Grove, Dartmouth, NS in partnership with Sir Francis de Winton. When Sir Francis returned to England, his interest was purchased by the family. In 1907, George Oland and his son Sidney purchased a brewery in Halifax and changed the name to Oland & Son Limited. Sidney became the President of the company on the death of his father in 1933

Sidney married Herlinda deBedia y Martel of Santander, Spain on 13 February 1912. She died 1 April 1966. There were four children; Victor deBedia, Bruce Sidney Culverwell, Amadita Diana (Stanbury), Don J. Oland.

Coat of Arms:

The family Coat of Arms is depicted in the 39th Volume of the Public Register of Arms & Bearings in Scotland on Page 43 and is signed by Sir Thomas Innes of Learney, Lord Lyon King of Arms.

Business:

Chairman of the Board of Lindwood Holdings and A. Keith & Son Limited Director of Eastern & Chartered Trust Company, National Life Assurance Co (Toronto), National Art Gallery of Ottawa and other companies.

Honours:

Former Consul-General of Peru

Honourary LLD, St. Mary's University and St. Francis Xavier University

Knight of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta

Commander of the Order St. John of Jerusalem

Chevelier of the Order of Merit of Peru

Director and Chairman of the Board, Nova Scotia Division, Canadian Corps of Commissionaires

Honourary Colonel, 1st Regiment Royal Canadian Artillery

Served in WW and commanded 14th brigade CFA

Honourary ADC to Earl of Bessborough, Governor General of Canada and his successors, Lord Tweedsmuir and the Earl of Athlone

General:

Colonel Oland was a philanthropist and supported many charitable activities. He was a principal donor toward the construction of the St. Francis Xavier University Sports Complex, the Oland Centre with its 2000 seat auditorium. He was a noted philatelist and had a fine collection of early Canadian stamps. He was an enthusiastic sailor and built the replica of the Bluenose which was launched at Lunenburg in July 1963 and was later given to the Province of Nova Scotia in exchange for $1.00. While prohibition was in force in Nova Scotia, he acted in a number of silent movies and also acted as a technical director for a number of films. He maintained an interest in the theatre and was instrumental in the establishment of Neptune Theatre. During the Depression, he revived a number of old gold mines and provided employment for many Nova Scotian miners. While prohibition was in Nova Scotia in 1922, he built a railway in Jamaica. He had several farms, one in Sackville of 4,000 acres and another in Northfield where he specialized in Ayrshire milk cows, Aberdeen Angus and Highland cattle. He worked toward the improvement of livestock in Canada and imported the finest breeding stock. He won many top honours at the Royal Winter Fair and international competitions and was instrumental in the establishment of the Atlantic Winter Fair.

In 1937, in association with Major William Borrett, he organized the Nova Scotia Division of the Canadian Corps of Commissionaires and was responsible for acquiring and renovating the Black-Binney House which serves as the Headquarters for the Corps in Nova Scotia.

In the military, at the age of 15, he joined the 82 Abegweit Regiment in Charlottetown, PEI. In 1904 (age 19), he became a Provisional Lieutenant in the 1st Halifax Regiment Canadian Artillery. In 1907, he was in command of the Canadian Artillery team which competed against England and won the King's Cup and did so again in 1911. General Andrew MacNaughton of WWII fame was a 2nd Lieutenant on the team of ten officers and forty men. In WWI, he spent two years in various Halifax forts but eventually went overseas and served at Paschendale in 1917 and the Battle of Amiens and was mentioned in dispatches signed by Winston Churchill.

The Halifax Explosion destroyed the Oland Brewery, but when Sidney returned from overseas, the family decided to rebuild on Agricola Street. In 1927, Keiths was purchased from executors in England. He was a notable leader in many fields and was responsible for many things for the benefit of Nova Scotians.